Did you know your red dot sight can get gunky and dusty? It’s true, and it happens all too often. Keeping your sight clean can help keep you shooting accurately. In this article, we’ll show you how to clean a red dot sight so that it’s like new again.
What is a Red Dot Sight?
A red dot sight is a type of optical sight used by marksmen to increase accuracy when shooting. It provides a red dot as a reticle (or indicator) that is projected onto a viewing window and is seen through a magnifying lens. The red dot on the sight is reflected off a partially silvered, coated reflector with a partial grid pattern that is usually contained in a protective housing when not in use. The red dot sight is used in all kinds of situations, from hunting to law enforcement, competition shooting, and recreational shooting. The red dot sight offers both quick acquisition and accuracy over a wide range of distances. When to use a Red Dot Sight? – For quicker target acquisition. – Greater accuracy at medium distances. – Longer range shooting.
How to Clean a Red Dot Sight
Before you clean your red dot sight and remove the battery, make sure it is off. You don’t want to clean the red dot and then turn it on and have the battery die while you’re cleaning it. It will ruin the battery.
- Remove the battery before you start cleaning the red dot sight.
- Remove the screws and open the sight housing to access the lens and the rest of the sight.
- Wipe down the exterior with a soft cloth and cleaning supplies to remove dirt and debris.
- Clean the lens with a lens cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth.
- Reassemble the sight and make sure that it turns on. If it doesn’t, check the battery.
- Put the sight away until the next time you’re ready to use it.
- Turn off the sight when you’re done.
Which Tools and Supplies do you Need to Clean
There are a few things required to clean your red dot sight. You’ll need:
- Cleaning supplies (cleaning cloth, alcohol, etc.)
- Screwdrivers or wrenches
- A new battery if your red dot doesn’t turn on after cleaning.
- A credit card or soft plastic card to help dislodge dirt
- A long screwdriver or long, thin object to push the battery out of the housing if the battery won’t come out with your fingers
After You’ve Cleaned Your Red Dot Sight
- If your red dot sight is clean and working like new, you may want to store it in a protective case or bag. You can also replace the battery if it was old and needed replacement.
- If the red dot sight is like new and your battery is new, keep the sight on and shoot with it.
- If the red dot sight isn’t working, check the battery and make sure it’s in right.
- If the red dot sight still isn’t working, it’s time to buy a new one.
The red dot sight is an excellent tool for shooting, and it can be one of the most accurate tools out there. But it can get dirty and clogged up with dust, and that can really affect your accuracy. The best way to keep it clean is to clean it often. You can do that by removing the battery, cleaning it with a soft cloth, and then putting it back together. The red dot sight is an important part of any kind of shooting, but you have to keep it clean and maintained properly for it to work properly.