This Southern specialty is loved for its sweetness and simple ingredients. Making patti labelle’s butter milk pie is as easy as making a pudding, thanks to our favorite Food Network star. Patti Labelle shares her famous butter milk pie in her cook book “The New New Orleans Cookbook”. Everyone will be asking for seconds after sampling this rich dessert with its creamy pudding and hint of lemon. And it’s so simple to make! See if you can learn how to make patti labelle’s butter milk pie with this simple recipe. You won’t want to miss the end result… Buttery, lemony goodness!
Buttermilk Pie is a dessert that is popular in the Southern United States. It is a custard pie with a buttermilk flavor.
How To Make Patti Labelle Buttermilk Pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Fresh berries (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a pie dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, butter and sugar until crumbly.
- Add the milk and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pie dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the crust cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pudding filling by heating the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the filling from the heat and pour the mixture over the pie crust.
- Let the pie cool completely, then serve and enjoy!
Step 1: Make the biscuit crust
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a pie dish.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, butter and sugar until crumbly.
Step 2: Make the pudding filling
Meanwhile, make the pudding filling by heating the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add the lemon juice and zest, and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
Remove the filling from the heat and pour the mixture over the pie crust.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy!
Let the pie cool completely, then serve and enjoy!
Serve it with fresh berries and whipped cream for an extra special treat.
Patti Labelle loves to use fresh lemons in her butter milk pie. If you have fresh lemons on hand, do not skip on the lemon juice and lemon zest. If not, no worries. You can substitute for fresh lemons by increasing the amount of lemon juice and zest in the recipe.
The Southern states are often associated with sweet treats and comfort foods. In Louisiana, they are particularly famous for their patti labelle’s butter milk pie. And Patti’s pie is just as delicious as you might imagine. With the classic Southern flavors of lemon, sugar and creamy butter, this pie is one you won’t want to miss. If you’re lucky enough to have a summer vacation planned, you might be interested to know that New Orleans hosts one of the biggest food festivals in the country. The New Orleans Food and Wine Festival will run from October 25 to November 4 this year, and will no doubt provide plenty of inspiration for new recipes. If you’re not traveling anywhere this fall, but still want to try patti labelle’s butter milk pie, you can make it at home. Use this recipe as a guide, and enjoy this delicious, Southern-inspired treat.