When you think of a kettle, you probably imagine something like the ones your grandma used to have. Or maybe you picture something that looks like a small iron cauldron. If so, you’re not alone. For most of history, kettles were made of metal and had either a handle or spout to pour their contents. Unfortunately, modern plastic kettles tend to lack these features.
But no worries! With just a few tweaks and some common household items, you can make your plastic kettle function almost exactly like those old-fashioned metal ones. Keep reading to discover how to put filter back in kettle with ideas on how to do it!
Why does your kettle need a filter?
The purpose of putting a filter in your kettle is so that you can do things like make a cup of tea or pour boiling water over coffee grounds without having to sift the finished product. If you’re using loose tea leaves, for example, you want to be able to throw the leaves in the water and then just strain the liquid into a cup. If you don’t have a strainer, though, the leaves will just stay in the water and make your water taste like tea.
How To Put Filter Back In Kettle
What you’ll need
- Scissors: You’ll need these to cut the coffee filter cloth to the right size.
- Coffee filter cloth: You can find this in any grocery store and most convenience stores.
- Hot glue gun: You’ll need this to secure the filter cloth to the inside of your kettle.
- Plastic wrap: You’ll use this to protect the inside of your kettle while you’re applying the glue.
- A kettle: Any kettle will do!
How to make a metal strainer for your kettle
The first step to putting a filter in your kettle is finding a way to make the interior metal. You can do this with a few common household items.
- Aluminium foil – Fold a square of aluminum foil into a cone shape and then open it up again to make a piece of fabric about 2 inches wide.
- Tin foil – Fold a piece of tin foil into a cone shape and then open it up again to create a piece of fabric about 2 inches wide.
- Paper towel – Fold a paper towel into a cone shape and then open it up again to create a piece of fabric about 2 inches wide.
How to make a metal spout for your kettle
If you have a kettle with a damaged or missing spout, you can easily make a replacement spout from a piece of sheet metal. You’ll need a sheet of metal that’s at least as wide as the opening of the kettle, a saw to cut the metal, and a hammer and chisel to make the hole for the spout.
- First, use the saw to cut a rectangle out of the sheet metal. The rectangle should be about twice as wide as the kettle opening, and as long as you want the spout to be.
- Next, use the hammer and chisel to make a hole in the center of the rectangle for the spout. The hole should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the spout.
- Finally, bend the edges of the rectangle up to form a lip around the hole, and then slide the spout through the hole. You may need to trim the edges of the spout to get a good fit.
If you’re looking for a way to make your plastic kettle function more like a traditional metal one, you can put a strainer in the mouth of the kettle. You can do this with a few household items, such as aluminum foil or paper towels. Alternatively, you can make a spout out of tin or aluminum foil. The best way to put filter back in kettle is to find a way to make the inside of the kettle metal so that you can use a strainer.